Javascript is required to view this map.

Roman Church - Zuwayla Area

The church of Virgin Mary is located at Zuwayla lane. It was founded in the 10 th century.the church was destroyed in 1321, but when it was rebuilt. It comprises a narthex (entry hall), a naos (a nave with two side aisles) and choir, along with three sanctuaries (haykal).

A convent is annexed to the Church of the Holy Virgin Mary at Harat Zuwaila. It was built by the Patriarch Cyril IV (1854-61).

Translation Note: The English version of this content is being displayed because the Arabic translation is unavailable.
Virgin Mary Church
Church interior

Center for Conservation & Preservation of Islamic Architectural Heritage  

Egypt - Headquarter

85, Ramsis Street, (P.O.Box: 764)
11511 Cairo, Egypt

Tel  : +20 2 2575.2495 / 2577.6122
Fax : +20 2 2574.8872
Mail : info@ciah.biz

Germany - Representation Office

Cockerillstr. 100
52222 Stolberg, Germany

Tel  : +49 2402 12750.2000
Fax : +49 2402 12750.2900
Mail : office@ciah.eu


© Copyright 1984 - 2019 Centre for Conservation & Preservation of Islamic Architectural Heritage